Saturday, December 31, 2011

Luminary New Years Eve

Every year for over twelve years our neighborhood has held a LUMINARY NIGHT the weekend before Christmas. This year I volunteered with my kids to organize and carry out this wonderful evening. It's a feast for the senses, it gets the neighborhood in the Holiday Spirit, and it encourages neighbors to mingle with each other over hot cocoa and Christmas cookies. I know, I know, Christmas has come and gone......but New Year's Eve is on the horizon.

My family and I will light a few luminaries on New Years Eve. We will display them right outside our dining room window at dinner time and let them burn through the night. (Our votives last 10 hours). The luminaries will add a romantic and festive feel to the evening.  I encourage you to buy a few votives and white paper bags, cuff them, and fill them with sand from the sandbox (one of my neighbors used kitty litter one year, use what you have) and light a few luminaries outside where you can enjoy them from inside of your home. Just make sure you don't place them near anything flammable like a pile of leaves. Light the luminaries and enjoy entering the New Year with a festive bang!

Line luminaries down a pathway.
Look how festive it looks!

Luminary: a cuffed white paper bag with
scoops of sand and a lit votive

Aerial view of a lit luminary

Our street lit up by luminaries this year.
 It's a wonderful spectacle to see street after
street lit up by candle light.


In order to get the tree ready for
New Years Eve,  I took all the
ornaments off and only hung some
glittery white snowflakes on it. Then I
draped a silver ribbon around the tree.

This will be our New Year's Eve
tablescape: silver and white are the
predominant colors. Just add a
scrumptious feast!

Thank you very much to all my readers, you are the reason I post!
I wish you and your family a wonderful entrance into 2012!

CHEERS!

Happy Decorating!
Ana Alicia
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment